Pediatric Emergency Medicine
We provide skilled care to infants, children and young adults with urgent and emergency medical, surgical and traumatic conditions, ranging from brain injuries to broken bones.
No child should suffer unnecessary pain, which is why we have created an “Ouchless ED,” with innovations to manage traumatic injuries as quickly and painlessly as possible. Ouchless treatments include:
- topical anesthetics or sprays that reduce needle pain
- intranasal opioids and anesthesia instead of IV
- skin adhesives instead of sutures
Pediatric Emergency Experts
Most of our doctors and nurses are trained in pediatric emergency medicine, focused on meeting the unique medical needs of infants, children, teens, and young adults. In addition to providing innovative medication and treatment methods, our staff are trained in:
- Evaluating problems in children who are unable to be patient and cooperative.
- Easing anxiety that a medical emergency can cause families.
- Partnering with community physicians and Lucille Packard Children's Hospital pediatric specialists.
- Communicating frequently and thoroughly with family members.
Child Life specialists in the emergency department offer support and information to help patients and families minimize fears and increase understanding by explaining procedures in age appropriate terms.
Our physicians also serve as faculty as part of the renowned Stanford School of Medicine, representing some of the most innovative minds in medicine, science and research, trained in leading-edge best practices.
The pediatric waiting room inside the Emergency Department offers toys and distractions, as well as free WiFi access. iPads are available on loan to visitors in patient rooms to stream movies, video conference with healthcare professionals, or surf the internet.